Re: The Move

Subject: Re: The Move
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:54:51

----- Original Message -----
From: "Klaus Dietrich" <Klaus.Dietrich@oracle.com>

> Working for a software group myself (Oracle), I tend to prefer not to change
a well >established running system....

Well, having worked as a programmer for 34 years before I retired a couple of
years
ago, I would agree entirely. But that doesn't
mean you should never move on.

The Avnet system is not completely reliable (viz the recent bunch of old
messages
sent out again, some without the Avnet trailer)
but basically their business has grown away from what it used to be and while
they
are happy to host our List it has to be in the
current form, take-it-or-leave-it (and they charge us nothing, I should add).
However, the real impetus is that we could have a
better group elsewhere.

I would like to see more pictures and other files circulated.  I have tried to
facilitate this with the supporting web site, but
this is cumbersome to use (i.e. wait for me to get round to posting it) and a
way
for members to do it themselves would be a step
forward. (This used to be possible on Avnet, if sender and reader were prepared
to use FTP, but increasing security concerns put
paid to that).  I would like to see a more useful message archive operated by
the
mail server [ and if anyone has not tried Andrew
Sarangan's private venture web-fronted archive of our messages, then you are
missing
something - see the FAQ ].  I would absolutely
like to see virus transmission in HTML postings to the group made impossible, we
are aeroplane builders, not all of us are geeks and
it is unreasonable to expect members to be advanced computer users.  I would
like
to see the posters of messages which are rejected
notified directly at the time of the rejection. And, yes, I would like to see a
more usable administration interface (there are web
front-ends for majordomo systems, but ours does not have one).

I have had a couple of suggestions for alternative hosts, which I will look
into.
We are all losers if the group fragments and I
don't want that.

John Cliff