Re: Wing Filling

Subject: Re: Wing Filling
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:32:10
Troy, I can't see much fault in your methods, except the 42" spline is
necessary only for guaranteed Best in Show at Oshkosh.  That can take
forever.  But to speed up --

If your splines are not padded with foam (padded spline sands quicker,
but it sands into low spots - no net gain timewise), then black paint
isn't necessary.  Just watch where the dust doesn't move as the spline
passes over.  I circled that area with a yellow hi-liter.

A 12" drywall knife a) may not have a flat edge (drywall tape - easier
vs. a flat knife), and b) can only be used chordwise.  I found
12" and 24" pro type "masking" tools used in interior painting.
They're very flexible strips of SS sheet, mounted in somewhat flexible
plastic handle.  It will bend enough when swiping SuperFil spanwise,
so you can then swipe in both directions, meaning fewer cycles of
fill/sand.  Alternatively, a c. 3" wide strip of 4130 will work too,
with a cleaned up edge.  It's important to add no more filler than
necessary to avoid creating high spots, and thus low spots that
weren't.

SmoothPrime will show up the imperfections, and you can apply thin
SuperFil to sanded primer.  But the primer is not the best way to fix
errors, as the difference in sanding ease leaves you with waviness.
Thus it's best to get the SuperFil as perfect as reasonable.  Your
hand can feel any waviness to a few thousandths.  I used a magnifying
glass or hood to note any zits, scratches, and thin layers not faired.
I swiped on SuperFil as I inspected, using a small knife.  Very bright
shop light helps too.

Especially for the final passes, remove all dust with alcohol.  Any
residue dries out the SiperFil removed from knife and reapplied.  More
imperfections result, and on and on we go...

In final gloss finish, mild waviness will be hard to spot.  Other
imperfections, yes.  Frustrating work at times, but comes to an end
eventually.

Regards,
Fred F., A063