Re: Radiator and oil cooler dimensions

Subject: Re: Radiator and oil cooler dimensions
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:19:12
Hi, Erich --

Cooling fin area only - Oil - 10 x 4H x 2D; Coolant - 10-1/4 x 3-3/8D
x 3-1/2H.  Both with mounting arrangements widening them, and fit in a
13" wide duct.  But if your substituting for Europa parts, the
important spec is what they do thermally.

I would like to know too what an intercooler will do; auto enthusiasts
install them for different purposes (best power pedal-to-metal).  The
climb rate should improve, but cruising at 75% power (if we knew
exactly what that is), the gain is in fuel efficiency.  I don't know
either if the computer adjusts boost based on airbox temp (it limits
it above 162F for sure), but they don't say.  That would nullify the
intercooler a bit, power wise.  Has been done, but anybody got hard
data?

Searching the net will produce lots of hits, but aftermarket prices
are something else.  Junkyards may not be a good source, as the
hotrodders will have them already.  There is net of junkyards with
online inquiry for what you need, once you know what yr/make/model.
Bob Berube told me some Nissan is good fit.

In looking at my engine room, I was concerned over maintaining enough
induction airflow, or you overwork the turbo.  And the additional
inlet air is aerodynamic drag, w/o knowing expected benefit.

Fred F., A063