Re: Fuel Vent

Subject: Re: Fuel Vent
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:26:45
>My fuel system is standard per Europa Mark 1 latest mod except
>that the gauge vent line from the panel to the vent is 1/4 OD
>nylon. This was done to allow the vent line to fit between the
>side of the panel and the cockpit interior covering providing a
>continuous rise from the footwell to the lower corner of the
>windscreen.

I have a theory, based on a few peoples experience. The most logical
routing of the sight gauge is up the front of the seat back, then across
the top of the tank, (it can be taken between the tank top and the seat
headrest moulding, ) then back into the tank at the tank breather fitting.
(Europa make a fitting with two connections for the drains which can
conveniently be used.)

This routing seems to be less prone to give false readings, in particular
because the sight gauge is close to the tank there isn't a big error due to
pitch changes but also there is little risk of blocks of fuel getting
trapped by air locks above the fuel level and causing errors.

There is another possible cause of fuel being drawn out of the vents, the
holes drilled in the stainless vent tubes to prevent water entering and
freezing. If these are too close to the fuselage surface they might be in a
reduced pressure zone. I don't understand why, but I have seen a case which
which was cured by blocking the drainage holes in the vent tubes.

Graham