Fwd: Re: fuel tank leaks(2nd time lucky)

Subject: Fwd: Re: fuel tank leaks(2nd time lucky)
From: bizzarro@easynet.co.uk
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:21:44
----- Forwarded message from bizzarro@easynet.co.uk -----
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:53:33 +0100
From: bizzarro@easynet.co.uk
Subject: Re: fuel tank leaks

Hi John

I don't believe you can repair the tank with glass and epoxy, I suggest
that you talk to the factory about this one. I was lead to believe that
the poly-propalene (or how ever you spell it) tank is not a material that
epoxy sticks to properly. My own experience is that epoxy resin does
stick to the tank very well, however ( and this is only my opinion) the
tank will expand at a different rate to the epoxy as it gets impregnated
with fuel, and to that end, the epoxy/glass repair patch will ping off as
the tank expands and contracts. These tanks are chosen because of their
crash resistance. In the event of an accident it is unlikely to burst,
however, if the polyprop layers are not formed correctly ,ie thin spots
on the walls or seams, the tank may well busrt on impact spraying fuel
everywhere when you least want it. The only way I can think of sealing
these tanks properly is using rubber backed plates on both sides of the
tank wall and clamping them together with bolts. Seriously, I would talk
to Europa about this one

Regards

Eddie

Quoting John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>:

> Forwarded from the bounce bin. Message is from
> "steve" <msl99@quixnet.net>

> Has anyone had a problem with fuel tank leaks?  I was washing out
> my
> tank today, getting ready for the installation step, when I
> noticed two
> pin hole jets of water coming from the "weld" seam.  Upon closer
> inspection, I noticed that at each of the leak holes there was an
> air
> bubble in the plastic with a thin skin of plastic over the bubble
> and,
> of course, a hole in this thin area.  Examining the rest of the
> seam
> section, I found several other embedded air bubbles but these did
> not
> have leaks (yet).  Anyone else found this?  I'm guessing it's
> repairable
> with glass/epoxy.  I wonder if any of those fuel leaks/smells some
> have
> noticed could be due to this same problem.  If anyone has
> experience
> with repairing this type of defect, please let me know.
>
> Steve Leisch
> A208
>

> The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK -
> info@avnet.co.uk

/////Eddie Hatcher Bill Lams Nick Crisp///////
///SouthEastLondonFlyingGroup/////////////////
www.crispsite.flyer.co.uk/newropa.htm

This message was sent by Easymail - http://www.easynet.co.uk/

----- End forwarded message -----