RE: Powder coating aluminum - help!

Subject: RE: Powder coating aluminum - help!
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:22:04
I believe I am using the Eastwood powder gun.  It gets shared among
several buddies so its not at the house at the moment.  It consists of a
cheap looking electrostactic gun that looks like a paint sprayer with a plastic

jar underneath. It works suprisingly well. I believe it costs under
$200. It comes with a power supply to put a charge on things.  It gets
hooked to your air compressor, you need to crank the pressure to about 10 psi or

so it only requires a mouse's breath of air to get the powder out of the
gun and on to the parts.  I welded up a metal rack that just fits in
the kitchen oven.  The parts are hung from the rack with safety wire and a
lead from the power supply gets clipped to the rack. You need to get the
electrons flowing to your parts to give them a charge.  If I require any
masking the areas not to get coated get wrapped in tin foil.

Typically  you have to buy the powder in minimum 5 lb batches but it
is reasonable I paid $45 for that amount which is more than I'll ever
need.  The data sheet supplied with the material, which is ground
plastic (polyester) with the consistency of talcum powder calls for a 400F metal

temperature for 10 minutes. If you watch it through the window in the oven you

can very easily see when it reaches its temperature and flows right out and gets

glossy. Transporting  it from your coating area to the oven takes some
care. No coughing or bumping into things while the parts are hanging on the
rack. Since the powder is only held on by electrostatic charge the stuff falls

off and makes a good mess.  Also don't slam the oven door. I now have a
tougher than nails blue coating inside the oven. Cured many times over.

Steve Hagar

A143

Mesa, AZ