Powder coating aluminum - help!

Subject: Powder coating aluminum - help!
From: EuropaChris@netscape.net
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:39:23
I believe we went over this previously here, but I want to be doubly sure.  I
just
sent out all the wing/flap hardware to be powder coated gloss white (W19,
W20, OR3, etc.)

My wife, who works for Midwest Express Airlines, says two of the guys on the
maintenance
floor said that the powder coating process would screw up the heat treat
of the aluminum.  Now, I remember looking up the age hardening time and temps
for aluminum, and from what I remember, it was quite a bit hotter than what
the powder coating oven runs at(which is about 375 to 400 deg. F).

Before I go and wreck a bunch of parts, I want to be doubly sure that I'll be
OK.
Powder coat is far superior to paint in both protection and durability, so
I'd like to be able to use it.

Thanks for the info, gang.

Chris and Sue
A159