Re: While on the subject of Peel Ply

Subject: Re: While on the subject of Peel Ply
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:25:23

> Why don't they roll this stuff on a christmas wrapper roll and send
> it as such? I had to cut around all those folded lines. Glass cloth
> isn't sent around folded...

We bought a substantial quantity of 1.7oz Dacron peel ply from Aircraft
Spruce, 66 inches wide, and it was rolled on a cardboard tube.  Also bought
tapes in widths of 1 to 4 inches, 2.7oz weight.  The material supplied by
Europa was heavier still.  We found that the lighter the fabric, the more
easily it conforms to curved surfaces, including mild compound curves for
the lightest material.  Since the lighter material is cheaper than the heavy
stuff, I wonder why anyone uses the latter.

Though Aircraft Spruce no longer sells the 1.7oz cloth, they have 1.8oz
Dacron for USD2.90 per yard, 64 inch width, P/N 09-00100.  It is not sold as
peel ply, but it is recommended for covering fabric airplanes, so I would be
very surprised if it had any nasty coatings on it that would interfere with
subsequent bonding or painting.  We certainly never had a problem, and we
used peel ply on just about everything.

Dave DeFord, A135/N135TD