(Fwd) RE: Motor Glider Rules in Canada

Subject: (Fwd) RE: Motor Glider Rules in Canada
From: Dr. Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:27:12
Hello EUROPA builders:

I like to forward, for your comments, the offical reply of Transport
Canada I have received, to deal with the special design philosophy
of the Europa!

Let me know what you think, especially you Canadian builders!

Cheers,

Christoph Both #223, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Subject:                RE: Motor Glider Rules in Canada

We wish to apologize for the delay in responding to your query but we
believe that your questions are well addressed below:

Aircraft Maintenance & Manufacturing issues:

A powered glider is subject to the design rules of Airworthiness Manual
Chapter 549, Subchapter B  and is limited to 2000 lb Maximum permissible
take off weight.

The Initial Application for a Special Certificate of Airworthiness for
Amateur-built Aircraft (24-0079) does distinguish between "aeroplane" and
"glider (one engine) [powered glider]". The Special Certificate of
Airworthiness - Amateur-built (24-0074 or 24-0075) does not distinguish
between aeroplane and powered glider. It identifies the classification of
the aircraft - amateur-built.

With respect to the initial operating conditions, the same conditions
governing "powered fixed-wing aircraft" (aeroplanes and powered gliders)
apply, i.e.,   the number of hours required to rectify all design and/or
construction errors plus an additional 25 hours during which the aircraft
has required only the maintenance, repair, and inspection associated with
normal aircraft operations.

Aircraft Registration Issues:

---From the aircraft registration point of view,  the aircraft is deemed to be
an amateur built aircraft. Final details would have to be worked out to
classify the aircraft and perhaps we could classify it as a "combo"".

Personnel Licensing issues:

With respect to personnel licensing, CAR 400.01(1) states that a "glider"
includes a powered glider. A glider or powered glider can only be operated
by the holder of a pilot license - glider (ref. CAR 401.24).

An aeroplane can be operated by:

1 - the holder of a private pilot license - aeroplane (ref. CAR 401.26;

2 - the holder of a pilot permit - recreational - aeroplane (ref. CAR
401.22); or

3 - the holder of a pilot permit - ultra-light aeroplane (CAR 401.21).

Please refer to the regulations and standards for the applicable privileges,
conditions and restrictions.

Conclusions:

1 - the letter of intent can show both aeroplane and powered glider;

2 - two 24-0079 forms should be submitted at the time of application for the
flight authority, if only to prove to Transport Canada or the MD-RA that
both "versions" of the aircraft do meet the requirements;

3 - only one Special C of A - Amateur-built need be issued;

4 - only one C of R will be issued;

5 - as a minimum, you will need two distinct personnel licensing aviation
documents - (i) a  pilot license - glider to fly the powered glider, and
(ii) one of the following, a private pilot license - aeroplane, a pilot
permit - recreational - aeroplane or a pilot permit - ultra-light aeroplane
to fly the aeroplane (some conditions and restrictions with respect to the
privileges apply). You can contact Bob Lavers, Aviation Licensing in
Moncton, (1-506-851-7484) for additional information concerning aviation
personnel licensing.

C.J. Daigle