A weekend jolly

Subject: A weekend jolly
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:13:54
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Bob.Harrison" <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>

Well I can report ,thankfully , that I survived a fantastic trip of my first
private flying experience away from "Blighty". About 2,500 nm to Sweden and
Gotland(east of Sweden)back across Sweden (via a personal invitation from
Capt.Lennart Olsson to a Swedish Airforce Base landing No.5 to 4 Griffon
fighter planes ,the first two needing to "go round" because of a rabbit on
the runway! Then leaving after  a Hercules C130 "well after its turbulence
wake"! Having watched a private aerobatic demonstration, for a coach load of
retired Airforce Squadron Leaders, of a Hawker Hunter) onwards to Denmark
and so home via Biggin Hill.
When my Father prevented me entering the RAF he knew not what he did, bless
him, so 40 years on .......  the dream was realised thanks to a very able
co- pilot/ navigator and radio engineer(Ivor Phillips) lots of coaching by
Brian Griffiths and Frank Chapman, much engineering evaluation by Barry
Mellers a fine Europa Aeroplane, powered by a very capable Jabiru 3300 engine
(except for the intermittent misfire nevertheless "getting to parts where
Rotax didn't make it !")
We had many scary moments negotiating huge CB's (thunder
storms very much to be avoided) over very hostile terrain, lakes, forests
rocky outcrops as far as the eye could see. Then on the way back over
Holland "embedded CB's" an even more disturbing experience.
At the Swedish Barkaby Fly In dinner we received a special mention for the
longest distance and "most CB's"
Many people were disappointed that the factory Rotax powered aircraft was
unable to attend due to engine and propeller technical problems, but I'm
given to understand that they will be making a special trip to
compensate.
What an adventure. Not to forget to mention thanks to Rob and Linda who
provided accommodation to make  our trip, to beautiful Stockholm (Amsterdam
with hills and scenery)and Svens and Kristina on the Island of Gotland,
most memorable .

Best regards to all
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG

PS . Just decided to put this onto the Europa Circuit, apologies to those
who will get it twice.