Re: Oil Line

Subject: Re: Oil Line
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:44:09
Nigel Charles wrote:
> The kinking might not happen straightaway and if you cover the hose
> with firesleeve you may not notice until the firesleeve is next removed.
> Why persevere with a mediocre part when for 35($50) you can hopefully
> solve this problem once and for all.

Both Stratoflex and Aeroquip provide detailed info on max bend radius
for their products.  I presume you're referring to the (original)
supplied red-striped hose as mediocre, and not aviation-quality hose.

What concerns me about specialty automotive parts, well at least here
in the States, is that quality is unknown, and specs are whatever they
say.  Even more demanding racing application may be premised on few
cycles/hours, and there may be other differences that affect
airworthiness we don't know about.

Stratoflex's Safety Guide specifies that excessive ambient heat is to
be insulated from the hose (with other than fireseleeve).  In this
regard, Rotax on its 914 uses a metal-foil backed stuff to insulate
coolant hose from adjacent exhaust pipe.  So I was thinking it may
satisfactory to wrap the affected area in fiberfrax, with outer wrap
of stainless steel foil, for example.  Bright metal reflects 90-95% of
infrared energy.

The hose you're describing may indeed be very good, but for some of us
there's too much "experimental" involved.

Regards,
Fred F., A063