Re: 2 blades vs 3 blades

Subject: Re: 2 blades vs 3 blades
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:37:44
That's good news for tri-gear builders like me, but the _theoretical_
efficiency difference in cruise, 2 vs. 3 blade, is supposed to be very
small in favor of 2 blades, from everything I've read.  Your test has
confirmed that both your ASI's are accurate, but how's about MP, RPM?
There's also issues of whether prop diameter is optimum for cruise on
both installations, and whether blade designs (they're airfoils) are
identical in efficiency for two different mfrs.  Then there's any
build differences.

I'd think you could compare relative aerodynamic efficiency by
side-by-side, power off glide at same glide angle.  Same fuel load and
adding back the 100# empty-weight diff with ballast even, to get
scientific.  And need also a pitch setting for minimum drag both
props.

Regards,
Fred F., A063