Re: Firewall

Subject: Re: Firewall
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:30:09
>> Is the firewall material effective? How does it compare to a stainless steel

>> firewall? Has anyone tested the material?

> My advisor had me test the firewall material with a butane torch, using a
> scrap
> cut from the firewall during LG installation.  The fiberfrax
> holds up pretty well to the torch -- of course the resin chars but it doesn't
> support a flame.  I suspect a SS firewall might hold up better in
> that it wouldn't char but the question always remains: how big a fire for how
> long?
>
> John       N44EU     Newtown, CT

Indeed, I think it's all somewhat moot, though in USA the FAA will
want fire resistant material there.  The idea is to protect the
occupants, but even with SS steel there, there's some finite time
(probably less than the FAA test requirement - 20 minutes(?)) where a
raging fire up there is going to soften and fail other fiberglass
areas, followed by a very serious problem.  My approach is minimally
satisfy the FAA, and pay special attention to engine installation
issues to prevent a fire in the first place.

Regards,
Fred F., A063