Re: color of Aeropoxy Hardener

Subject: Re: color of Aeropoxy Hardener
From: Rob Housman <ROBHOUSMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:24:26
When "new" the hardener and resin do, indeed, mix to an amber color but I
have found that as it ages the hardener (and the mix) is a reddish color,
something like a red wine color but far less intense.  I suspect it changes
color when it picks up moisture from the atmosphere but it could be from
chemical changes in the hardener over time (something suggested by the
reddish color of an unopened can of hardener).

I don't recall the actual recommended "life" of the unopened hardener but I
think it is on the order of two years.  It would be prudent to check with
PTM&W Industries, Inc. (the manufacturer) before using "old" hardener for
structural components.

On a hot day, using PH 3660, I have had 80 to 100 grams of the mix gel in
less than 30 minutes; the PH 3665 has a "pot life" of 2 hours vs. 1 hr for
the PH 3660 that comes with the kit.  Check
http://home.fea.net/~canc1/aeropoxy_main.html for details.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070