Oil Pipes

Subject: Oil Pipes
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:12:27

Further to the previous correspondence regarding the oil pipe from the
banjo at the bottom of a Rotax engine to the reservoir, I have recently
experienced a failure of this pipe. I had routed it under the forward
coolant pipe and over the rear one, but following the advice given
recently by Andy Draper to this forum in respect of 914 engines, I
decided that even though I have a 912 I would re-route the pipe over
both coolant pipes while doing the annual check.The pipe failed close to
the banjo shortly after completion of the check. On removal from the
engine it was apparent that the pipe had taken on permanent bends, and
subsequently when flexing the pipe crackling noises could be heard as if
the bond between the rubber and the reinforcement was failing under
stress. The pipe was the red stripe variety, originally supplied by
Europa. I understand that they are now supplying a superior quality
pipe, but if you have the red stripe variety, be warned!
If I had let well alone I suspect that this pipe would have continued to
function satisfactorily - but who knows for how long?
The lessons appear to be that the red stripe pipe does deteriorate in
use (mine had done just over 70 hours flying), and that if you decide to
re-route this pipe it is probably prudent to replace it.
Safe flying to one and all.
Roger Anderson.