Gap Seals

Subject: Gap Seals
From: Garry Stout <gstout@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:02:43
 04/19/2001 10:02:45 AM

While strolling through the various aircraft displays at Sun'N Fun I
stopped to examine the Stemme motor glider.  I noticed that mylar "gap
seals" were fitted to both the ailerons and the flaps, on the bottom and
top gaps.  The sales representative explained that the gap seals reduced
drag, and improved the aileron roll rates.  Since I am interested in
anything that improves performance I thought I'd look into it.  Has anyone
tried this?  Was it worthwhile?  What kind of changes did you experience?

Regards,
Garry Stout
N4220S
(813) 878-3929