Re: RE: Painting of aluminum bits and pieces

Subject: Re: RE: Painting of aluminum bits and pieces
From: EuropaChris@netscape.net
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:57:14

"Rob Housman" <robh@hyperion-ef.com> wrote:
> Get your parts
> phosphoric acid anodized (not the more common sulfuric acid process) and
> tell the anodizing shop to skip the step for sealing the anodize. Retrieve
> the parts as soon as they are anodized and apply the primer coat immediately
> (as soon as possible) to get best adhesion; the finish coats can wait.

Great.  I'll look into this.  Here in the Milwaukee area, we have no shortage of
metal finishers and painters due to all the fabrication type work that goes
on here.  Just need to find somebody that's familiar with the phosphoric
anodize.

>And while we would all agree
> that the C-152 is slow (jokes about bird strikes from the rear are somewhat
> of an exaggeration), what it really doesn't do well is climb.

That is fortunately not a problem here.  My field is at about 900' MSL, so even
with full fuel and my instructor (putting us at just about gross), we still go
up at 600 to 700 fpm.  Not great, but OK.  It's cool still, so that helps.

Going to school at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical U. in Prescott, AZ, they trained
with
180 hp 172's for single and Piper Seminoles for twin.  The field was 5300'
MSL, and on a 90 deg. day, it was pretty dicey.  For the Seminoles, an engine
out meant you were going down.  Nice twin, but dangerous in less than ideal
conditions.
As an Engineer, I didn't have the money or time to fly, so I'm doing
it now.

Chris