Re: Re: Fuel leak/smell.

Subject: Re: Re: Fuel leak/smell.
From: Roger.Mills@btinternet.com
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:45:48
Maybe it would be a good idea to overlay the filler tube
with a layer of adhesive backed aluminium foil tape (the
sort sold in B&Q). The thin aluminium foil should act as
a vapour barrier and make a noticeable difference - I'll
give it a try!
Roger Mills

 >Once upon a time I tried auto-fuel too. I found that
the large black filler
>tube in the XS style refuel system seemed to be the
culprit. If I touched the
>filler tube and then sniffed my fingers and sure
enough that awful smell that
>comes with auto fuel.
>
>At the request of Europa, I sent back the tube back to
see whether it had
>been treated with the coating they apparently use and
it had.

>I concluded that there must be some additive in US
autofuel which permeates
>the rubber. The solution is to use 100LL. The problem
went away.

>Sure, its more expensive, but at around 2 dollars a
gallon (about 50 cents
>more than autofuel) is worth it just to get rid of that
petrol smell.

info@avnet.co.uk