Re: Fuel leak/smell.

Subject: Re: Fuel leak/smell.
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:10:19
Once upon a time I tried auto-fuel too. I found that the large black filler
tube in the XS style refuel system seemed to be the culprit. If I touched the
filler tube and then sniffed my fingers and sure enough that awful smell that
comes with auto fuel.

At the request of Europa, I sent back the tube back to see whether it had
been treated with the coating they apparently use and it had.

I concluded that there must be some additive in US autofuel which permeates
the rubber. The solution is to use 100LL. The problem went away.

Sure, its more expensive, but at around 2 dollars a gallon (about 50 cents
more than autofuel) is worth it just to get rid of that petrol smell.

Regards
Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas