Re: wing pins

Subject: Re: wing pins
From: Rob Housman <ROBHOUSMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 12:49:39
In the chapter Wing Lift/Drag Pins & Flap Drive Pin Installation (it's page
26-1 of the 30 May 1998 edition of the Tri-Gear Manual) there is Figure 1
showing the set up for drilling the holes.  The accompanying text gives the
required dimensions vertically but there is no specific location fore and
aft given because these are  not critical dimensions since the mating
fittings bonded later to the fuselage are installed using the wing and pins
as a "jig."

What is critically important (and not mentioned in the Manual) is the depth
to which the aft pins are screwed into the wing root ribs.  Do not follow
the Manual's instruction to bond the pins (Step 4) at this time.  Wait until
rigging the wings to bond the pins so you can be certain there will be
proper alignment of the pip pins to the aft sockets (W26).  If you follow
the Manual you may find that there is no way to get the wings close enough
to the fuselage to engage the pip pins - difficult to fix if the pins are
already bonded to the wing root ribs.

Also,  be certain that all four of the pins will be centered, more or less,
on the hard points in the fuselage.

I had the foresight  (as a result of other "inconsistencies" in the factory
assembled components) to mount the W26 assembly onto the mating spar pin
before bonding and found that I could not engage the pip pin with the spar
pin screwed in as far as it would go.  Later I discovered, when attempting
to rig the wings, that the hard points were not where they should be so I
found it necessary to re-drill the spar pin holes to suit the hard point
locations (easier than moving the hard points).

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070