Re: Blade twist

Subject: Re: Blade twist
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:39:36

>A propeller for an ultralight is nearly twistless.
>A propeller for fast planes have quite a bit of twist.

Confuses me, that one. Ideally pitch angle at the zero diameter point is 90
degrees, parallel with the airflow. This is so for any prop, fast or slow.
At the tip, a fine pitch prop will have much less pitch angle than a coarse
one, so fine pitch has more twist than coarse.
As Jerry suggest, (I think?) A gear reduced engine with a coarse prop will
have more twist than an un geared one with a finer prop, for the same
airspeed. At this point I'll stop rambling before I get even more confused.

Graham