Re: Blade twist

Subject: Re: Blade twist
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:50:31
Agree with most of that.
Ultralight aircraft use reduction drives. For best performance at low speed
(and least noise) a large reduction is better. Therefore some good
ultralight propellers (Arplast for example) have blades with lots of pitch.
Below is the twist profile for an Arplast Ecoprop and VP prop wide blade
style as recommended for 912S and 914 Europas.

Pitch in degrees from 64"  to 20" diameter in 4" steps
17.80
19.00
20.40
21.80
23.40
24.20
25.20
26.40
28.20
30.10
33.00
36.90

The blades are adjustable so the absolute pitch can be changed.

Pitch is measured on the back of the aerofoil so there is a small error as
the back of the blade is not the aerodynamic reference but its a good
indication.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that predicts pitch given aircraft speed, engine
speed and gear ratio. I mean to put it on my web site when I get a spare
moment.

The 912 blade has a little less pitch because the gearbox ratio is smaller
and angular velocity greater.

Jerry

                                                LTS@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown