Re: Rotax 912S with NSI VP prop

Subject: Re: Rotax 912S with NSI VP prop
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:11:47
Message text written by "Jerry Davis"
>We sell the Arplast prop which uses a larger blade on the 912S. The pitch
of
a prop should be a function of the aircraft speed and the rpm of the prop
not the amount of power that has to be accommodated. Pitch on the 912S is
slightly (that's slightly) higher because the gear ratio is greater.

I have a Ban-bi customer who has used the NSI prop on a 912S. I could ask
him to reply if he does not anyway.

Arplast VP prop 1600 + VAT including pitch display. About 25 flying in the
UK
mostly on Europas.<

My concern is that, with the same prop, if you increase the horsepower
available on take-off the engine is likely to achieve a higher RPM at
rotate and early climb. Given that the existing low pitch stop is set to
just prevent the engine overspeeding with a 912 it is very likely that
overspeeding will occur with a 912S unless the stop is set to provide a
higher minimum blade angle.

Nigel Charles