Brake on the stick and aligning the boat

Subject: Brake on the stick and aligning the boat
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:21:58

All:

Random questions after building the cradle for my fuselage and wondering
if I installed the boat correctly:
    1.  alignment - how did folks ensure that the fuselage was not
warped?  I mounted mine by positioning
         bolt holes with respect to the fuselage flange cut line after
making sure that the bolt holes in the
         supports were at equal heights.  Haven't trimmed the fuselage
bottom yet, not sure it's necessary.
    2.  Sorry, Jim T., but I get a queasy feeling about the strength of
4 1/4-20 bolts.  Lots of stress on the
         fiberglass.  I'm thinking of placing a supporting belt
underneath the front and rear pairs.
    3.  How did folks ensure that the fuselage was the right width at
the supports?  You need to slide the
        sides back and forth to get the right dimension.  Perhaps by
trial fitting the top to the bottom (requires
        trimming of the flange, clecoing the top to the bottom...)?

Another subject - anybody place the brake lever on the control stick?
That way, the right hand could be freed
to work the throttle and other things.  The parking brake would have to
be of the Matco variety instead of a
wedge or cam, but...  Also, if you're building an MG, the quadrant area
gets rather crowded...

Cheers,

Shaun
A207