Re: Wheel AND wing configuration

Subject: Re: Wheel AND wing configuration
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:43:59
>Is there to date enough experience with the SLMG (TMG?) (glider wing)
>configuration to comment on handling compared with the short-wing?
>
>1. thinks that the rotational inertia of the big wing ought to
>stabilise the bird at t/o and landing (by analogy with the
>dismasted-yacht scenario).

I only flew it once in March 99, (prototype) but I felt I would have been
happy to fly it with no outriggers. The wings came level almost as soon as
the aircraft moved. It was  pleasant to fly,,,,,,,,,, once I got used to
the very steep angle of climb, near to gross weight with a 912.

>3. well, which wheel configuration might be best for SLMG ?????

If you did something about cleaning up the underside around the monowheel,
ie fairings or gear doors, the mono would have better performance.
Otherwise I suspect a 2 wheeler with wheel pants & fairings would have
slightly less drag.

All inspired guess work, don't forget. It was a delight to fly though, for
me anyway.

Graham