RE: xs fuselage profile

Subject: RE: xs fuselage profile
From: Gregory Mike <M.J.Gregory@cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:22:56
We used to have such plastic shape-forming strips (about 18 inches long) in
the drawing office, in 1960. They could be formed into any curve of
reasonable radius, and were very handy for joining up a set of coordinate
points that the fixed French curves wouldn't fit. They had a cross-section
about 1 cm square, with a beaded edge for the DO pencil, and contained thin
strips of what appeared to be a lead alloy.

Although I imagine such strips are still available from drawing office
suppliers, one long enough to profile a Europa fuselage would be expensive
for occasional use. I suggest a length of thick copper wire (annealed for
preference) or similar material could be used instead. A cardboard template
could be cut to the shape of the wire to confirm a precise fit before
cutting the support material.

Mike