RE: xs fuselage profile

Subject: RE: xs fuselage profile
From: Tony Wickens <tonywickens@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:56:57
That's a good idea from Miles. What I did was to make up a simple profile
tool on the principle of the multi pin tile profile markers. No need to make
the pins so close together though for such gentles curves. I took a piece of
wood, mine was about an inch by three quarters in old money but any
reasonable section will do, and long enough to cover the widest part of the
fuselage. I then drilled holes at half-inch intervals along the centreline
to be a light push fit to some old non-flux coated brazing rods I had. I cut
these to varying lengths, as you will need longer ones at the sides of the
profile. The rods are textured on the surface which stopped them slipping
too easily in the holes. Fix the wooden beam at a known datum under the
fuselage at the station you wish to find the profile and carefully insert
rods until they just touch the fuselage. If you are building an 'A' frame
jig similar to the factory clamp the beam across the 'A' frame in the
position of the intended support with the fuselage temporarily jigged in the
desired position. Be extra careful at the sides to ensure that the rod just
touches the fuselage surface. You actually do not need rods every half-inch
but it gives flexibility to be able to decide where to put them based on the
rate of change of slope on the profile. Carefully remove the profile gauge
and transfer the marks to your support board, Eighteen mil MDF works well
with foam pipe lagging. Allow about half the thickness of the foam around
the profile, measured perpendicular to the tangent of the curve of course. I
guess you could use dowels for the rods or any thing else that is handy.
Anyway that's how I did it but I dare say there are many more ways this
ingenious bunch has come up with. Final advices though, keep it simple.
Best of Luck
Tony Wickens XS353