Re: OBAM Defined

Subject: Re: OBAM Defined
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:41:34
Actually the term "amateur" isn't necessarily derogatory, as in many
amateur vs. pro sports, the latter being sellouts for the money.  But
"OBAM" wouldn't necessarily be accurate either.  Completed
experimentals are bought and sold, in which case the owner neither
built it nor may be doing other than simple maintenance.  It also
legitimizes those people who hire professionals to totally build their
kits but will never admit it.

What the general public thinks doesn't particularly bother me, since
most of those who would not board a plane built in a garage wouldn't
climb inside a ratty C-172 either (or maybe even a new one).  Fact is
many pilots distrust experimentals too.  Bob is absolutely right about
kitplanes and internet-based support groups.  It's contributing to the
decline of many EAA chapters.  Bad for EAA, but better for quality and
airworthiness than random, individual skills within a typical chapter
could ever achieve.

I'm not on the AeroElectric list, so feel free to suggest something
else.  Can't think of one right now.

Regards,
Fred F., A063, N3EU