Re: Tie downs

Subject: Re: Tie downs
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:30:34
> Has anyone installed a tie down in the tail of a tri gear Europa? I
> can only find threads to wing tie downs in Andrew's e-mail list.
> Thanks
> Steve Pitt #403

Mine is just a hole drilled through the "tail skid."  Latter I think
is necessary, so an excessively tail-low landing doesn't damage the
rudder.  It's made from a fiberglass layup, about 3/4" thick and
around 1-/2"H (tapering) x 4"L on the side view.  It's bolted
underneath the fin closeout bulkhead, with aluminum reinforcement
added to that area (prior to the closeout) as in other fuselage
hardpoints by the factory.  It could also be fiberglass over wood
core, or aluminum stock, I suppose.  I don't know if this is the best
approach, but I have accidentally dropped the plane on its tail (w/o
engine), and it's so far taking the abuse.

Regards,
Fred F., A063