Sport Aviation review of the TriGear

Subject: Sport Aviation review of the TriGear
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 19:48:08

I just got this month's Sport Aviation.  The US demonstrator Trigear and
Monowheel are on the cover, and the Trigear the subject of a handling
qualities report.  Note that this ISN'T the CAFE report on Kim Prout's
Classic, which has been available on their website for over 6 months but
hasn't yet made it into Sport Aviation.

I suppose that the EAA wanted to publish a report on what builders could
actually buy NOW.

Compared to the CAFE report, and the Lancair IV-P report in the previous
month's issue, I sensed that the reviewer was only mildly impressed by
the Europa.  A "likeable" aircraft, with good in-air handling qualities,
but overall, the review sounded like he didn't see the point in it over,
say, an RV-6.  Maybe so, if that's what you are looking for.  Perhaps
the Europa is too "European" in concept.

Overall, I wish that Sport Aviation would just publish the CAFE reports
instead of their flying qualities reports.  I like the CAFE reports'
heavy dose of hard test data to back up their subjective opinions.

Anyone get a different read on the article?

Shaun
A207