Peel Ply

Subject: Peel Ply
From: Robert Berube <bberube@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:09:30
I sounds like there is some confusion on the peel ply issue.  The XS wings
do have peel ply on the root rib.  Early in the production, the manufacturer
was using white peel ply which when wet out looks clear causing some
builders to glass over the peel ply only to remove it and start over.  There
were not too many wings sent that way before the peel ply was changed to
blue for easier identification.

Questions have come up on peel ply in the flaps.  If you do not have a fast
build Stage I, do not respond discussing the peel ply in the wing as that
will certainly confuse the original question.
Builders that received a fast build Stage I from the UK have open closeouts
which may or may not have peel ply in them.  Fast Builds done in the US have
the closeouts finished so the peel ply is a non-issue.  Just check them
closely and if unsure, use a sharp razor blade and make some scratches to be
sure.  White peel ply dries clear thus the brilliant green peel ply now sent
with the kits.  That does not mean that the manufacturer of the parts uses
green, blue or white.
Hope that helps.
Bob Berube A166