Intake fire.

Subject: Intake fire.
From: Nic <tgynz@cts.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:24:58
David-
Be certain an intake fire, backfire, engine fire, cannot winde it's way up
some duct into the cabin.
A carburetor fire can expand a whole lotta heat.
A simple valve, even more reliable than a complex valve, should not be
relied upon.
It's supposed to be against the rules.
Just be sure.

Normal under cowl heat supply is an exhaust pipe muff like an old
VolksWagen.
This is good and hot.
Inspections of this arrangement prevent carbon monoxide poisoning into the
cabin.
A sheet metal manifold around a section of un-wrapped pipe can provide 50
Celcius to a under seat heater.

When you glass-wrap your pipes, maybe a 1/4" pipe or two could be wrapped
along a section.
These could be blown by ram effect from the front.
And trickle, or better, a hot stream of air aft that could be blown onto the
carbs, or plumbed into the airbox, or wrapped around the duct somewhere, or
?

Maybe a duct from the leeward side of an oil cooler, or etc.

I haven't decided for my 3300xs what my heating arrangement will be.
But cold intake ducting first.

Heating really should be second, not less important.

imho
3
Nic-145

Thoery: Nothing you do should ever add any weight!