Re: AOA

Subject: Re: AOA
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:41:29
I talked to the head of Proprietary Software Systems about this.  From a
functional point of view the sport gives you all that you need, and is
of course much smaller than the pro.  The pro, on the other hand, allows
you to precisely calibrate the AOA indicator at several points using a
more elaborate calibration algorithm than the sport.  If I remember
right, you may be able to indicate Vx, Vy, etc. as particular bars on
the graph, though this may just be the result of the 32 bar display
instead of the 8 LED display.  The color transitions mean exactly the
same thing on both.
The professional includes the "green donut", which only goes on when the
plane is configured for landing - i.e., flaps down, but in the Europa's
case, undercarriage as well.  This is the aiming point for landing -
slightly into reverse command, a little below max L/D which is the
yellow/green transition.  This is nice, as you get a LG position
indicator in the bargain and a little more guidance.
The pro has a digital angle readout.  Whoopee.  The pro also comes with
a gear down aural warner.  The sport can be had with one as well.

The biggest problem with the professional is its size.  In my panel, it
will NOT fit in the optimum location just to the left of the Airspeed
indicator (on the glare shield is a blind emulation of military
practices.  They have very low glare shields, so placing it high on the
shield keeps it in the pilot's center scan.  The Europa's - and all
other light planes' - panel is quite high, so the AOA indicator can be
placed in the panel near the window, where the pilot can check it
easily).  Instead, it has to go in the small triangle at the bottom left
of the panel.  Of course, the sport may not be able to fit correctly,
either.  Tri gear pilots can get rid of the LG lever well and this
problem.

Shaun
A207
  Subject: AOA

  I am new on the list, building an Europa in Australia. Is someone can
help me to choose between the AOA sport and professional. Is the
professional worth the difference in price.

  Jean-claude Smitka
  jc@cafesttropez.com.au