Re: AoA vs,ASI

Subject: Re: AoA vs,ASI
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:48:19
>. But for stall recognition, nearly all
>aircraft (particularly jets) give the pilot adaquate warning approaching the
>stall without having to refer to AOA. When you stall, you'll know it.

If you stall a Europa or similar high performance small aircraft, (Lancair,
Glasair, BanBi etc) below 100 feet it may well be too late. All the ones I
have test stalled have dropped a wing. Some violently. (all except the XS I
flew which was more docile)

>  Therefore, AOA is more for flying at max performance (at a given, fixed
> angle of attack), like
>consistant approaches to a carrier deck.

Or consistent approaches to short dirt fields. Take off from small farm
strips is usually a max performance job, here in UK anyway.

I still insist AoA tells you what is going to happen, ASI tells you what
happened 20 seconds ago. AoA must be a better way.

Graham