AoA vs,ASI

Subject: AoA vs,ASI
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:17:27
Forwarded from the bounce bin. Message is from
"Fergkyle" <ve3lvo@rac.ca>

Ben:
            This isn't an argument with what you say in essence but let
meask you a couple easy ones:
1.        You and I are ex-AF, and I started on wooden jets in 1951 and
progressed(?) through a number of others, then Army Co-op then transports.
But are you telling me you never lost a buddy who pulled too tight in a
fighter break with an inside wind? ...that you never saw a demo pilot stall
out in vertical manoeuvre?They all had ASIs but no AoA.
2.         Would you agree that USN doesn't always piddle away millions on
unnecessary hardware. I said 'always', heh, heh.
        I had to be convinced of the value of an AoA but now see the
advantage of not having to bumble about revising my driftdown speed
according to present weight - I can just pick the ideal AoA no matter
weight, temp or density alt.

        I believe the AoA tells you instantly what your lift is doing and
the ASI tells me where I went wrong 10 seconds ago. Thass my experience.
 How do you like the 777?
Happy Landings
Ferg A064