RE: Future upgrades question

Subject: RE: Future upgrades question
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:40:45
The panel is removable as a unit so it can be replaced at any time with a
new one if you wish.  It can be withdrawn through the cockpit door - without
anything installed it is easy to handle but I would expect it to be a bit
more difficult with all instruments and avionics installed (mine is still
"empty").  Consider using the appropriate connectors behind the panel for
pneumatic lines and electrical wires so that removal will not be complicated
by having to disconnect everything wire by wire or tube by tube.

You have received good advice regarding installation of a conduit for future
lighting in the wing tips - this is a "must have" item because there is no
way to fish the wires through the wing ribs otherwise.  My conduit is aft of
the spar (the only available location unless you have a 12 foot long drill
bit) so it required a right angle turn to route the wires forward to the
recessed lights.  I recommend that you fabricate a junction box at the right
angle turn to facilitate pulling the wires - a junction box cover (mine is
on the bottom of the wing) can be fitted like those used for the access
ports in the fuselage near the elevator trim servo.

I have installed the Proprietary Software Systems, Inc. AOA indicator (
http://www.angleofattack.com/ ) which requires ports mounted inside of the
wing surfaces.  Had I not installed lights within the wing tip there would
not have been any way to reach inside of the wing (forward of the spar) in
order to mount the port hardware.  It is impossible to reach around the
outboard end of the spar from the aft side of the spar even before closing
the wing, so the cutout I made for the lights gave me just enough of an
opening for my hand to reach the preferred location for the AOA ports.  Once
the wing is closed, in the absence of a cutout of some sort, you will not be
able to mount anything inside the wing.  A separate conduit will be required
for the pneumatic lines unless a single conduit is sufficiently large for
all wires and tubes.  I know from trying that a 1/2 inch diameter tube is
not large enough for both the electrical and the AOA pneumatic lines so I
recommend installing a separate conduit for each (if you use the same AOA).

If your wings have not yet been shipped you should special order wings
without the wing tip molding installed because this will make the addition
of everything within the wingtips much easier.  This clever idea is not mine
but I highly recommend it, having done the job the hard way.

I don't have a copy of the FARs handy but as I recall an airspeed indicator
is required equipment.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070