Re: Preparing Classic Wings for Filling

Subject: Re: Preparing Classic Wings for Filling
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:10:20
 k>

>How much sanding of the classic flying surfaces would you advise?  What
>surface finish should I be aiming for before  application of filler? I know
>what the manual says but I want to be sure I don't damage my wings!!
>
>Donald Kesterton
>G-PATS Builder No 216

Hi Don,
You might try those foam pads with grit bonded on. they conform nicely and
will touch more surface than stiff paper. They do wear out quickly and you
need to keep grease and perspiration off them and the glass. This technique
was recommended by a US Navy composites advisor at Sun n Fun a year or tow
ago. He had tested and found better adhesion than he got with 60 grit. Do a
test and decide!

Graham