Preparing Classic Wings for Filling

Subject: Preparing Classic Wings for Filling
From: Kesterton Donald <KestertonD@logica.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:23:10
I would appreciate some advice on the preparation of the Europa Classic
flying surfaces prior to filling.  Yes I'm one of the really slow builders,
but still enjoying it!!

My question concerns just how much sanding of the surface is acceptable to
create an adequate surface key for the filler, taking into account that the
glass fibres are on or very close to the surface, and the surface
preparation is for filler which adds no structural strength, rather than say
a bid lay-up.

If I was preparing for a lay-up I would sand to a dull surface finish with
say 80 to 180 grade aluminium oxide paper.

For filler however this seems a bit excessive and would possibly damage the
glass cloth strands.

How much sanding of the classic flying surfaces would you advise?  What
surface finish should I be aiming for before  application of filler? I know
what the manual says but I want to be sure I don't damage my wings!!

Regards

Donald Kesterton
G-PATS Builder No 216