Re: XS wing panel glueing

Subject: Re: XS wing panel glueing
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:32:19
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Fergkyle" <ve3lvo@rac.ca>

Jonathan:
        I've got Classic foam wings, but perhaps a hint on similar 'gluing'
would be useful. I bought several thicknesses of cushion foam from an
upholstery outlet, from 1/4in (6mm) to 1-1/4in (32mm). Since I cannot
envision building a vacuum bag rig for pressing bits together, I have taken
to applying the epoxy, positioning the parts together (with peelply and/or
polythene plastic sheeting as req'd), then overlying the foam cushion then a
stiffening board/panel plus perhaps spars to even out the pressure below,
then topped with weights (an old transformer and an electric motor or two,
unused resin cans, etc). I've found that the even pressure (a) gets rid of
bubbles and sinusses, (b) sqeezes excess into the peelply or away to the
side for trimming, and (c) tends to duplicate the magic of factory bagging.
The inspector seems pleased with the results........
        Comments from the experts welcome.
        Of course, it means working out how to produce the required pressure
throughout, or where indicated, and ensuring there's no squeezing into
unwanted materials, The polythene sheeting is suitably cheap but may be
reused, and the other equipment should be near to hand for the job.
        You might want to research the canny scheme brought up by another
builder, in which he applied pressure to his cockpit insertion to the lower
fuselage by 'hanging' the bottom and applying tightened cartage straps to
overhanging wood beams to press together parts without disturbing their
shapes.
Happy Landings
Ferg