XS wing panel glueing

Subject: XS wing panel glueing
From: Jonathan Moyle <jmoyle@epo.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:49:32
Having recently completed this task here are some tips that will help
avoid some possible problems.
In the manual is a clear method of applying weights to the panel while
it is glueing. What the manual doesn't say is how much glue to apply to
the respective parts. After applying generous (I thought ) amounts to
both wing ribs and the panel and letting it cure there appeared to be
large gaps (as much as 2-3mm) between the panel and ribs in places. It
was possible to locate these gaps by pushing hard with the thumb on the
panel along the position of the ribs. The fix suggested by the factory
is to drill holes along the rib positions and inject redux into the gap.
Drilling the holes confirmed the size of the gaps. Luckily the position
of the ribs was marked on the top surface of the panel.
 Obviously it is best to avoid this situation. At the factory they have
done so many wings that experience has taught them how much glue to
apply.
Clearly just applying weights to force the panel to contact the ribs
would just distort the smooth surface requiring bricks worth of filler.
My suggestion is to test for the existence of gaps in a dry run and
apply the glue accordingly. Another possibility is to use a string to
detect the low ribs. Prehaps there are other suggestions.
Jonathan & Carla (kit 330 - Netherlands)