RE: fuel tank

Subject: RE: fuel tank
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 09:01:20
Hi! Raimo.
Happy New Year.
Whilst I'm a MK I builder I find myself surprised to hear that the XS tank
expands since I thought they started supplying tanks with an improved
compound that doesn't expand. However I would just fill it (having blocked
off the holes !) with fuel and let it stand for a while just in case it
expands at all (MK I builders had to make a restraining frame whilst this
went on ). Useful tip for cutting the holes in the tank  is it use a
soldering iron to melt the holes into shape, then it removes any likelihood
of swarf and static problems . (Still better flush it out though prior to
installing .)
Also make sure the tank is fitted well HIGH (fuselage right way up) to
ensure the wing spars don't
clash  with it .
On the question of cut out marks , yes the fuselage split line was difficult
to see, it may be possible that a piece of paper , here and there, with a
pencil to take a "rubbing " will highlight it better, then join up the
resultant marks . Whatever, do a dummy assembly prior to cutting too much
off.
If you get a light in a suitable position you will find the C/L crosses
although they are very feint.
Hopefully this makes useful help for you. All  in  my humble opinion of
course !
Regards
Bob Harrison    G-PTAG Kit 337   Europa/Jabiru 3300 Trike/Mono