Re: Europa Mail - rivets

Subject: Re: Europa Mail - rivets
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:39:29
This response to my forwarded mail on rivetting was sent to me, and is now
posted to the List, thanks Ben.  It is from
 BCLERX@aol.com

Hi

Offhand, I would say get  larger rivets and re-drill to fit the new rivets.
Any standard rivet has an "oversize" rivet to match when the original smaller
rivet is drilled out for some reason. Each rivet hole is usually drilled with
a specific numbered drill and the hole size will need to be within certain
tolerances. Look in a supply catalog (Aircraft Spruce, etc) and they'll have
charts for rivet diameter and hole size. I'm no rivet expert and don't know
how oversized your rivet holes are. I'm sure an experienced builder will
advise on the exchange. But I'd feel better with a larger rivet and properly
sized holes. I also replaced all my cheap hardware store pop rivets with
aircraft quality (Cherrymax) rivets. More expensive, but its my ass in the
seat on the first flight.

Ben