RE: Roll trim?

Subject: RE: Roll trim?
From: David Cripps <david.cripps@spsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 15:56:12
I saw a similar system to this in an RV4 which I flew in this Summer.  It
used light springs attached to a small lever on the back of the control
column near the floor.  The springs went to either side of the cockpit (the
seating in an RV4 is tandem), and the pilot could easily move the lever left
or right and it would either tension the left spring or right spring and so
provide a bias force to the stick.  As in your system, it had a negligeable
effect on the stick forces and had been fitted after the aircraft had been
completed.  Seemed a very elegant and simple solution and the springs could
be easily unhooked from the lever to completely disengage the system if
required.  I seem to remember hearing that some Long-Ezes also used a
similar system to this.

Now, has anyone tried to get such a scheme through the PFA?  Do you think it
would be acceptable to them?

David Cripps
GBWJH (007)