Re: Gear Up Landings

Subject: Re: Gear Up Landings
From: Grahamclk@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 12:02:59
        europa@avnet.co.uk

ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk writes:

<< On the question of "Gear Up Landings" I was given to understand that
someone
 (Test Pilot ! "no names, no pack drill") who tested the first 2200 Jabiru in
 a  Mk1 Europa managed to do just that! >>

I was present (luckily on the ground) when a Test Pilot did the same to a 912
Classic ( again "nn,npd").

The suggestion was aired that there was "rectraction after landing" but it is
worth noting that the approach was said to have been demonstrating
side-slipping.  This could certainly mask the abnormally high speed which
would otherwise have been present.

The "landing" was on grass,  the aircraft skidded in a straight line for 80
yds and the resulting damage  was confined to the tunnel and undercarriage
frame, and of course the prop.

It is easy to fit a micro-switch against the u/c lever to operate when it
moves sideways in to the down-slot to provide a warning (I prefer audible
into the headset). Indeed the RMI Microencoder provides an output which both
tests the airspeed and does not react during lowspeed climbout.

Graham G-EMIN