Re: Exhaust sytem movement

Subject: Re: Exhaust sytem movement
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:17:25
To Roger Mills,

Roger,

I recalled what you said to me about exhaust unit securing nuts from when we
last met. That was what made me have a closer look at the problem on this
service. Thanks!

The problem is that the silencer has dropped away from the engine since I
originally built it? With the XS there is an aluminium sheet metal duct
fitted under the silencer which ducts cooling air to the underslung Water and
oil coolers. We are instructed to engineer a 5mm clearance between the
silencer and the aluminium. As the silencer has sunk it has taken up this
clearance. No matter how I try to reconfigure the pipes, the silencer, and
the nuts I cannot re establish this clearance.

It is almost as though the rear pipes have grown or sagged. I suppose it is
possible if the pipes get to be really hot, and the silencer provides weight
and a vibratory factor, GS did tell me once that the Exhaust pipes glow red
in service. That would be enough for stress relieving movement I quess.

Fortunately I can lower the duct surface by a few mm to recreate the
clearance, but it would be nice to know how common the problem is, or if
there are any other thoughts and solutions. Or does carry on growing over the
years untill it eventually appears through the bottom of the cowling?:)

Best regards    Bryan