Re: Prop Clearance

Subject: Re: Prop Clearance
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 08:16:32
Thanks to all.  I was able to find much of my answer in the CAFE report on Kim
Prout's Classic.
With a 63" Whirlwind, ground clearance is 3.75" (!).  If we accept the factory
claims for additional 1.5" prop clearance in the XS, 5.25".  A 62" prop will
therefore
yield 5.75" clearance.  Again, if anyone can confirm this calculation,
I'd appreciate it.

Now - is this measured with the airplane at rest or with the tail raised to
level
flying attitude?  My depleted brain believes the latter.

A207

  Its probably similar to the clearance with other 62" props. People are using
our Arplast propellers at both 62" and 64". The larger gives better performance
but 1" less ground clearance.

  Jerry

                                                  lts@avnet.co.uk
                                  http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown
    Subject: Prop Clearance

    Inquiring minds want to know:  what's the prop ground clearance on an XS
with
a 62" Airmaster VP prop, at rest and at level?

    Thanks,

    Shaun Simpkins
    A207