Bumps

Subject: Bumps
From: Tennant <Tennant@tonline.de>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:43:33
Hi folks,

---From my experience it is very difficult to make the Carbs on the Rotax in
the
Europa ice up.
I have experienced it once, I think (Grahams diagnosis). That was after flying
at
about 4500 RPM and throttled back to 13 L/hr for over 2 hrs. Then, when I wanted

to climb to a safe altitude over the English Channel and pushed everything
forward it miss fired for about one minute. I was glad that I was near Calais.

It was a clear "bowel moving" miss-fire not a bump!!

I have flown in typical icing weather (just over freezing and haze to about 2 km

viz) without any problem but at normal cruise settings. There are a lot of
Europas flying without carb heat and I have not read in this forum of complaints

so the system must work.

I had a Bump though once that hurt. Decending to land trimmed down with about
140

kt IAS I hit a pocket that was so hard It hurt!! It was a good test and I am
confident that any normal turbulence I meet cannot do me any harm.

Have a nice weekend - We have 24 kts cross wind today so no flying :-(

Barry Tennant