slick 50 and the other unneccessary and potentially dangerous additives

Subject: slick 50 and the other unneccessary and potentially dangerous additives
From: mcdia@lineone.net
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:39:05
Dear Nic,

I considered adding slick 50 to my europa one year ago but was put off by the
independent
assessment of this product by NASA laboratories. I suggest you look
them up on the web - it blocks oil filters apparently and causes oil
agglutination.
I don't think it is to be recommended especially if you are modern synthetic or
part synthetic oil - it is just not necessary.
All the BS advertising about it allowing an engine to run after all the oil has
leaked out is also rubbish as the NASA site's independent experiments will show
you - in fact the slick 50 treated engine did a little worse in terms of "dry
running" damage and scoring of cylinders if my memory serves me correctly.
Finally rotax are not happy with it and will void your warranty if you put it in
- I asked them 1 year ago.
In short don't do it.

Cheers,

James McDiarmid  G-BWRO Plymouth UK