Coolant Mix - and now engine oil

Subject: Coolant Mix - and now engine oil
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:41:02
Thanks everyone who set me straight on the Antifreeze issue, however the
matter of which oil has raised a few questions.

As I understand it, the best oil to go for is a 4 stroke motorcycle oil with
"gearbox additives". I looked at the Castrol range which is basically
mineral only, semi synthetic and fully synthetic. From comments made in this
forum it would seem that the semi synthetic is a good compromise, however
Castrol makes no mention of any gearbox additive on the label. There is
however a separate gearbox oil but I assume this is for gearbox use only.

Does anyone know if the Castrol bike engine oils contain these elusive
gearbox additives.

I have not had the opportunity to look for Honda GN4 oil yet which was
highly reccommended by Bob Jacobsen (thanks Bob). Is it available in the UK
?

I could do with a little clarification on this issue, preferably with brand
names.

Incidentally our engine is well run in (500hours) so should not require
"breaking in" with mineral oil. It is the original engine out of G-YURO (the
first/ prototype factory Europa).

Thanks again,

Carl Pattinson.