Re: trim speed solutions...

Subject: Re: trim speed solutions...
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:46:13
Everything thing your friend says makes sense, except when you design
important aircraft systems, you provide redundancy or fail-safe,
unless the probability of failure is extremely remote.  True, the
ultimate fail-safe for trim systems is the flyability in full
out-of-trim, but accidents are usually event chains, "no one of
which...."

This argues against pulse width modulation, which takes a dozen or two
components to achieve (any one of which...), or a carbon pot running
close to its puny 1/4-watt power rating.  In either case, you do want
a bypass switch for fail-safe, but that means another panel switch, to
remember what it does in the event of a problem in flight.

The best approach I believe is a 3-terminal series regulator IC
(LM7808T, for 8 volts, or other 78XXT to one's preference for trim
response).  It's probability of failure in a low-current,
intermittent-duty application should be very remote.  Some may desire
a panel-adjustable response setup (then use an LM317T IC, with the
adjustment pot doing milliamp duty), but from a pilot's viewpoint, I'd
argue that it's best to have trim respond predictably, so that in a
situation requiring attention elsewhere, trim adjustments can be done
without thinking about, or adjusting, the response setting.

Regards,
Fred F., A063